Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.

Back in the day I was just on the verge of taking the UPCAT, I found myself thinking of what I want to be someday. Of course, most of us had choices ranging from the mundane (like driving a heavy piece of equipment like a bulldozer. Yes, that was one of them.) to the extraordinary (like being a ninja. Well, this one's too far even for me). Of course, there were the high-enough-to-achieve like being a doctor, astronaut, scientist, engineer, teacher, businessperson, and others.

In high school we had this sort of "evaluation" test, to see which skill in our brain works best. My classmates never really took serious note about it; hell, they even cheated on it. But I just answered the questions as much as I can. And when the exam was evaluated by the teachers we were interviewed one by one for the results.

What I got? They said my brain works best on "abstract" ideas and some "logic" problems. Which meant that taking up Engineering or math-intensive courses in college would best suit me.

Now, Engineering (whether be it Civil, Chemical, Electrical or Agricultural, but not Industrial) was one of the courses I really wanted then, but the thing is is that in UP it's a quota course (meaning limited number of slots), it takes five years, and very much math-intensive. Me? I'm not really good at math; I had to crawl my way up just to pass every math subject in high school. So I was at a crossroads of sort.

Then my father suggested I take up Agricultural Chemistry; it's a five-year course, not-so-much math-intensive and if I did well on my first year I could shift to Engineering without much of a hitch. The idea was sound, and I was sold by it.

So Agricultural Chemistry it is.

Then high school graduation came, and come June I was already enthusiastic of meeting my blocmates and all. After the first semester my father and older siblings asked me if I'm still planning to shift courses; truth be told, I was enjoying Chemistry and I've forgotten the whole shift-to-Engineering plan for my life. I said I'm sticking to the course I've entered.

And I'm not regretting one bit.

Oh sure, it took me around seven years to finish it, but still, it was fun and all. I may not have a Chemist license yet (I've been avoiding it for around 3 years now), but hopefully I get one this year. And though I may have a job that's not really Chemistry-related, the skills I've learned during college helps me in doing my tasks.

And no, blogging wasn't a rad during my early college days.

Now I find myself at a crossroads again. Not of what course to take, but what I can do to be more productive. Sure, making review materials rakes in the money, but there's that opportunity in front of me that I still can see clearly. My brother (who is based in Singapore) said to me I'm the type that's productive when I work at home. My sister then told me I should monetize a blog and such to generate income as well. And they got to read the fanfiction I wrote six years ago, and they said it was a good material.

It makes me wonder if they're just being nice or they could see what I can't.

But given that I am working at home, monetizing a blog wouldn't hurt. I just have to be writing on it most of the time to get hits on the 'net. And as for writing a fanfiction of sort, I still have to re-work on it. My sister said I should just continue on what I started because I have followers already, but I guess she didn't think that those followers would grow up and I've neglected that storyline altogether, not to mention I'm not really playing the game that my fanfiction is based upon.

Decisions, decisions. I'd better make one before I lose the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment